The name ‘garnet’ has been derived from the Latin term ‘Garanatus,’ meaning seed-like, which defines this gemstone’s common small shape. Garnet gemstones are also found in colorless form and varied colors such as purple, pink, yellow, green, orange, violet, among others. The diverse color variety makes it a popular choice among jewelers to make charming gemstone jewelry collections such as garnet rings, earrings, necklaces, and more.
Properties of Garnet Stones
- Color – Mainly red and in varied colors
- Refractive-index range – Between 1.72-1.95 (Differs depending upon the specie)
- Hardness – 6.5-7.5 Mohs
- Heat sensitivity – Less
- Luster – Vitreous, Sometimes resinous
- Transparency – Opaque, Transparent
- Luminescence – Inert mostly, Grossular may be fluorescent
There are no reviews yet.